– Use of low- or high-pressure sodium lighting with the orange component instead of the mercury lamps or metal halide discharge lamps with the enhanced blue / bluish component. The enhanced blue part of the spectrum is visible by more animal species and humans.
– Reducing the levels of illumination of lights at night or turning them off when these are not needed (dimming).
– Limitation on illumination of surfaces (outdoor advertising signs, billboards, facades, decorative lighting etc.).
– Sensible spatial planning. Public lighting is not necessarily needed on each parking lot, in rural areas or on roads intended only for use of vehicles.
– Laws, not voluntary reductions are needed. Self-regulation is likely to not be effective against the comercial interests, capital or ignorance.